I love engaging in theological debates in various forms, but I'm always surprised at those that I engage with completely online.

Maybe it's because there is a barrier from personal connection, but I've been attacked with language that just surprises me. It probably shouldn't, but it does.

I'm also surprised with how someone come sum up my entire belief system by knowing that I've read 1 book. I can read 1000 books but because they know that there is one that they disagree with (and usually haven't taken the time to read) that my entire view was formed by that 1 book.

The internet is so exciting for me because it allows me to look into cultures outside of my own. Granted there is a danger to this, but it's a danger I honestly embrace. There are times when I'm myoptic and I know it. I have the opportunity to see into worlds that are closed off due to cultural barriers or geography. It's a gift from God to be able to see the humanity in others that isn't always apparent on the surface.

So why? Why do people seek out of the internet to do the exact things they already do in there day to day activity? Why engage with only those whom you agree with? That think like you? That have distain for the different?

But this view goes beyond online comments/forums, it goes

-to liberals that only listen to NPR

-to conservatives that only watch Fox.

-to youth that only listen to other youth

-to adults that are fearful of youth, but won't be the grownup and spend time with the youth

-to the bigot, that doesn't try to extend love to those they are bias against

It's amazing how we appreciate our bubbles more than people. It's amazing how angry we get at other people's bubbles but respond by trying to make ours bigger. It's amazing how we paint other's bubbles and how inconspicuous ours are.

with humility

0 comments:

The Youth of Klein UMC's Fan Box