I was taking notes yesterday and a random thought popped into my head. Random thoughts in my head during sermons aren't usually random, but rather sparks. Sparks by looking a people, hearing certain words, and the environment of worship.


So....

Yesterday the thought of the role of God in your life and it's display like a movie or sitcom. I thought of a dichotomy of roles.

I pictured one where God/Jesus is listed first. That He is in every scene and the camera is following Him around. God is the protagonist, the hero, the funny guy, the glue....

This is where most of "say" He is, but our lives shine light to a different casted role for God.

The second is where He is listed last, but not last because we think He is irrelevant.

I watch the show Community all the time and it makes me laugh as the list Chevy at the end but they include the word "and" to give it weight. The "and" makes Chevy, though listed last, seem mysteriously important. The show isn't about him, isn't surround by his character, isn't glorifying the actor or his character.... it just saying...."We think it is important to think Chevy is important" or "He's kind of a big deal, but not really".

I think this is where God is sometimes...at the end, but with the "and".

Like Chevy, God was famous, but we've taken Him out of the starting role. This is an issue with veteran Christians. We forgot that it's more than pitching God some half-handed respect from time to time. It's about putting Him back in the leading role.

I fall victim to this from time to time.

...."oh yeah, let's pray"....."I'll give with the next paycheck"..... "that was an awesome service and oh yeah, God is great too"

Don't list Him last and tell Him you'll get the "and" and that's important. It is to a washed up actor like Chevy....not God

-ryan

0 comments:

The Youth of Klein UMC's Fan Box