I was listening to a sermon this morning and the pastor kept reiterating a point about the fact that there are multiple ways that people read the Bible.


He stated that some were better than others, and that different angles provided a different result.

Most of the sermon didn't "land" on me because it was a lot of things that I'd heard/read/seen/experienced before and I didn't see it as all that groundbreaking, but there is ONE point that was emphasized again and again that I thought was worth repeating myself.

"Do you read the Bible thinking it's talking about you, or do you read the Bible thinking it's talking about Jesus/God?"

I heard this and didn't have an answer, or maybe I did and I immediately understood that it wasn't the right answer.
-How do I read the Bible?
-Do I see it as a manual or a "play book" for my life?
-Do I concentrate on me when I read?
-Do I read it for personal gain?
-Do I read it "expecting" something in return? (ouch...)

I struggle with this, and yes, I understand that some of the audience of Paul's letters are to Christians/Unbelievers/people-in-general. I understand that the we are to imitate the nature of Jesus/God to best of our ability and understanding. I understand that the Bible is written and canonized for us to experience God.

But....

I think there is something dangerous about reading it with myself in mind. I should read it with God being the entire focus.

If I understand God, then my purpose (my chazown) will be understood.

0 comments:

The Youth of Klein UMC's Fan Box