You may ask may questions when addressing the concept of capacity, but I believe the main two that seem to stand out at the top are....


1. What do you have the capacity for (or to do)? - Where your ability can thrive....

2. How much capacity you have? - ie. holding capacity...

The first question was addressed in a service at church a little while back, so I'm address the second.

You may believe (and could be right) that you possess an ability of infinite amount of capacity. I see the limits. I see the limits, however, as a an infinitely positive and divine creation. With this understanding, I believe that God is the boundless capacity of everything.

So....in steering clear of defining God's capacity, because I have one of two choices in addressing that.....being completely wrong or chasing my tail....I'll save you and I the headache.

We are bound with a capacity for a very finite and definable amount of things and experiences. Maybe some have more in some area and less in others, but we aren't limitless.

Understanding that we are not infinite and unbound is liberating and refreshing. It gives me a peace that I'm not meant to doing everything, and that all issues aren't mine to address. I don't need to excuse the universal issues like abuse, poverty, and injustice, but I need to understand that every problem cannot and will not be fixed by my hands. I, like you, have a certain and definable (by God) capacity to create, restore, redeem, and have a heart for.

Why is important to understand that we are not infinitely capable?

1. We need to understand ourselves, our strengths, our passions, and our capacity to understand God's will. We need to lead from these understandings in our ministries (not bound by religion or religious institutions). Your life, every possible thing you can do, is ministry and worship. You are always ministering and worshiping. Always (even if it isn't on our Creator's behave and for His Glory).

Don't forget this....EVER.

2. The second reason why capacity is important is because you need to understand that principle, "What goes in, Must come out".

If you aren't limitless than you have to release things from within.

If you can truly capture the understand and awareness of this truth, then you begin to ask the question "How is this, what I'm putting in, going to come out?".

I love when someone tells me that tv, music, movies, books, magazines, diet, etc. doesn't affect them. Maybe so, but I doubt it. And let's say, hypothetically you can resist it influencing you, it's still going to come out of you. This is a double-edged truth. Open your mind, heart, and body to great/healthy/eternal/holy things and that is what will spill out of you. Open them up to earthly/perverted/selfish things....you can guess what will come out.

We all struggle from time to time on this awareness, but it doesn't invalidate it, it only reinforces it.

So if I asked why are you watching Jersey Shore? or listening to ________? or going to ________? The reason isn't that I'm thinking I'm better or that my decisions are wiser. The reason is I want to know is how is it going to benefit you and the Kingdom.

Why we read the Bible, pray, and serve? It is because there is an input/output affect that draws you closer to God, and an understanding of God's will.

May you understand how much capacity you have in every area of your life and may you understand that you can't avoid influence both the divine and the undivine.

With peace and humility, ryan

0 comments:

The Youth of Klein UMC's Fan Box